Acknowledging NIH Support
We need your help in raising awareness of NCCAM’s role in supporting research advances made by our grantees. By taking the actions described below, you will also be responding to a congressional directive that grantees “acknowledge NIH’s funding contribution when they publicize their research findings.
- Acknowledge NIH/NCCAM’s full or partial support of your research in journal articles, oral or poster presentations, news releases, interviews with reporters, and other communications.
- For citations in scientific publications, include the grant number and the name of the source of support whenever possible. Also, include a disclaimer when appropriate.
Example: “This publication was made possible by grant number ______ from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) at the National Institutes of Health. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NCCAM.”
For additional details on citation requirements, see the Rights in Data (Publications and Copyrighting) section of the NIH Grants Policy Statement. You may use this PowerPoint slide in your presentations to cite NCCAM support of your research.
- Alert the NCCAM program officer who manages your grant if you have a paper accepted for publication, especially if your institution is planning a news release or if you have other reasons to expect media coverage of your work. The program officer’s name, telephone number, and e-mail address are on your Notice of Grant Award. If you do not know your program officer’s name, look on the NCCAM web site.
- If reporters ask you to suggest an outside expert to comment on your research, please refer them to the NCCAM Press Office, which will determine whether an NCCAM staff person or another NIH official would be able to respond.
- Ask your institution’s public information officer to contact the NCCAM Press Office so that we can coordinate efforts to publicize important research progress. We honor embargoes on journal articles.